Yes! Actively enrolled UCI students can access UCI’s licensed online resources:
ON campus, you do not need to take any special steps to access our content. You can use a UCI computer, or you can use your own device(s) connected to UCI's WiFi.
OFF campus, you need to set up remote access with the VPN.
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is also known as two-step or 2-factor authentication. OIT requires it for all employees, including student workers, because it adds a second layer of protection to your UCI account in addition to your UCInetID and password. MFA is not needed to access all UCI Libraries' resources- only some resources where the vendor requires users to first authenticate with their UCInetID and password.
Please visit the OIT Multi-Factor Authentication site to enroll and get help with MFA.
VPN = Virtual Private Network. When you are using a VPN connection, you appear to have a UCI IP address. This allows you to connect to resources that you would not be able to access otherwise from off campus.
There are three versions: Desktop, Mobile, and Web.
1. Desktop (Software) VPN: Use this on your personal computer! It gives you the same experience as using a computer on campus.
2. Mobile VPN: Use this if you are on a mobile device. The Mobile VPN APP is available for iOS, Android, and Chrome OS.
3. Web VPN: Avoid this! Web VPN is clunky, and it does not work with all the resources that we license. Use it only if you are on a computer that does not allow you to install software.
1. Download the VPN software. It’s called Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
3. The first time you launch the VPN software, use this configuration:
Ready to Connect box >> vpn.uci.edu
The address vpn2.uci.edu will not work for library resources.
Group [dropdown menu] >> UCIFull
Username & Password >> UCInetID & password
Make sure you’re connected to the VPN.
eBooks from some publishers have a login screen. If you see one, use your UCInetID and Password, NOT the guest login.
Please contact your departmental computing office, or OIT. OIT also offers a separate FAQ page for more VPN troubleshooting.