Can I access UCI’s licensed online library resources (databases, eBooks, journals, and periodicals) from anywhere, either OFF or ON campus?
Yes! Actively enrolled UCI students can access UCI’s licensed online library resources for personal, educational, non-commercial purposes:
|OFF CAMPUS||ON CAMPUS|
|You need to set up remote access with the VPN. Also, logging into the VPN requires Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
VPN + MFA = Remote Access to Library Resources
You do not need to take any special steps to access our content. You can use a UCI computer, or you can use your own device(s) connected to UCI's WiFi.
What is the VPN, and why do I need it?
VPN = Virtual Private Network. When you are using a VPN connection, you appear to have a UCI IP address, as if you're using a computer on the UCI campus network. This allows you to connect to resources that you would not be able to access otherwise from off campus.
Which version of the VPN should I use?
There are three versions: Desktop, Mobile, and Web.
1. Desktop (Software) VPN: Use this on your personal computer! It gives you the same experience as using a computer on campus.
2. Mobile VPN: Use this if you are on a mobile device. The Mobile VPN APP is available for iOS, Android, and Chrome OS.
3. Web VPN: Avoid this! Web VPN is clunky, and it does not work with all the resources that we license. Use it only if you are on a computer that does not allow you to install software.
How do I install and configure the VPN to access library resources?
1. Download the VPN software. It’s called Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. If your department's IT office loaded software onto your personal computer, the software might be installed already. Search for Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.
2. Watch our how-to videos or follow OIT’s directions for installing and configuring.
3. The first time you launch the VPN software, use this configuration:
Ready to Connect box >> vpn.uci.edu
The addresses vpn2.uci.edu and vpn.hs.uci.edu will not work for library resources.
Group [dropdown menu] >> UCIFull
Username & Password >> UCInetID & password
What is Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), and how do I set it up?
To login to the VPN, UCI now requires Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), basically a second verification in addition to your password. With MFA you'll use your smartphone or a small token device that you carry with you. In order to access the VPN, you will also need to set up MFA.
Make sure you’re connected to the VPN.
eBooks from some publishers have a login screen. If you see one, use your UCInetID and Password, NOT the guest login.
I can't access a library resource. Am I connected to UCI's network?
Click on the "Test My UCI Connection" button. ➔
I'm on UCI's network, but I can't access or use a library resource.
2. Even if you know the UCI Libraries license a database (e.g. Academic Search Complete, IBISWorld, etc.) do not use Google to access it. Enter it through a UCI webpage. Why?
4. Your browser's cache or cookie settings can sometimes cause access/usage problems. If you can access other library resources but not that one resource, try the following:
I logged into Canvas or my department's intranet, but the resource I want to access still asks for an ID/password.
I'm on UCI's network, but I can’t access X website or X report that I found in Google.
What happens to my access when I am no longer a UCI employee?
I have more remote access questions.
Please contact the computing office for your department, or contact the Office of Information Technology (OIT). OIT also offers a separate FAQ page for more VPN troubleshooting.