Nowhere near exhaustive, but instead a source of departure to find information to support hypotheses and conclusions. I invite you to set up a research consultation to delve deeper in your individual projects. As these topics are better flushed out, I will add a variety of resources on what you may choose to consult and use in your research. Please feel free to reach out to me if you are getting started sooner than I populate these topics.
These are not exhaustive resources on any of these topics but meant to be a point of departure:
1. Student segregation of secondary schools by Latino populations in Orange County, CA. - some of the origins of this issue go back to the Mendez v. Westminster School District case in the US Ninth Circuit ruling in 1946; news coverage from local press and media; consult the GAO report released in 2016; check out the Civil Rights Project at UCLA for K-12 Education;
2. Refugee integration - currently using Annual Refugee Survey for 2011-15 - interested in countries of origin and particularly from Central America - sources of other dataset are Immigration Statistics from DHS and those listed on data.world; from the UNHCR Refugee Data; current pathways for refugee integration; DACA data; Literature about refugee integration is in the resources, Academic Search Complete; LegalTrac; news & media sources; Sociological Abstracts, Web of Science, SSRN, Rand Reports, etc
3. Private Prisons in US - there is a lot of data - something just released last week; Also the Equal Rights Initiative; Please consult Criminal Justice Fulltext; Rand Reports, PPIC.org; SSRN; LegalTrac; Web of Science
4. Social Networks in Music - influences of trends, popularity of performing artists, record labels, etc - the Spotify Datasets & Publications are here; May want to consult Business Source Complete, explore Academic Rights Press for Entertainment & Music, and contact Performing Arts Librarian Scott Stone (firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Socio-economic influences in higher education, specifically of Hispanic populations - start with Digest of Education Statistics; and consult Education Fulltext; ERIC (contains indexing of both journal literature & technical reports); NCES, Immediate College Enrollment Rate (Feb 2019)' See articles and news releases like this; School Enrollment of the Hispanic Population: 2 Decades of Growth (2017);
6. Bias of historical sociology - contingency of soccer matches world wide - how is it reported by the media; what impact it has on competitors, the media coverage, understanding the match - using data from WhoScored.com - may also want to examine https://www.fifa.com/ Other sources of data analytics for soccer may be https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertkidd/2018/11/19/soccers-moneyball-moment-how-enhanced-analytics-are-changing-the-game/#2dd01b7676b2; https://tdwi.org/articles/2019/07/11/adv-all-sports-analytics-0709.aspx
7. Domestic violence - recidivism rates of domestic violent assaults in OC for ages 15-18. Also what factors are most highly correlated with a teen perpetrating domestic violence and what are the most effective interventions? Sources for this these last 2 issues may be found in PsycINFO, Criminal Justice Abstracts Fulltext, Sociological Abstracts, Academic Search Complete, Social Services Abstracts.
Off-campus? Please use the Software VPN and choose the group UCIFull to access licensed content. For more information, please Click here
Software VPN is not available for guests, so they may not have access to some content when connecting from off-campus.