Highly encourage everyone to use the Urban Planning & Public Policy (UP3) Research Guide where many resources are annotated and for which there are links. These hints will get you started with databases and a proposed research strategy. Please contact a librarian for additional assistance. However what will refine your searches to a higher level of relevancy is the specific location or geography you are focusing on, and the populations you want to serve - the elderly, etc; and the conditions you are most interested in. What is the problem you are addressing - a specific issue will beg for specific coverage.
1. Chicanxs Unidxs Orange County - houselessness/homelessness, formerly incarcerated, criminalization of urban space - not a non-profit; - Mission is justice, mutual aid, legal aid (legal clinic), anti-gang. Databases include: Local News - OC Register, LA Times; Criminal Justice Fulltext and other resources on the CLS Research Guide
2. Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust - stewardship/community organization and efficacy - Resources include Urban Studies Abstracts; Agricultural & Environmental Sciences Database; Public Affairs Abstracts; about diversity and racial inequities in access to green space
3. THRIVE Santa Ana Comm Unity Land Trust (CLT) - community land trusts as a mechanism for land access and increasing equitable community driven development - Urban Studies Abstracts, Urban Land Institute reports .
4. LA Commons - preservation of community space/culture, art, social justice, spatial justice - Criminal Justice Fulltext; EDRA, Web of Science, Google Scholar, Urban Studies Abstracts, Art Index, Art Research Guide;
1. OCTA - Populations shifts in location affecting travel behaviors due to COVID, environmental focus - TRB publications; ASCE Digital Library; Academic Search Complete; Scopus; Agricultural & Environmental Sciences Database
2. OCTA - Change in travel behavior: Pre-Post COVID -
4. City of Long Beach - Evaluation of Protected Bicycle Lane on Artesia Boulevard - how protected bicycle lanes impact traffic injuries considering safety, infrastructure, other roadway users. Google search reveals many results such as from Public Works Dept: - Resources include: TRID, Transport, ASCE Library, PubMed, Academic Search Complete, Urban Studies Abstracts, Journal of Planning Literature, Google Scholar, Scopus and Web of Science. Search strategy refined by subtopics increase relevancy. May have to draw on other cities' experiences and findings to apply to Long Beach scenario.
Environment / Food Policy
1. Health LA Food Policy Council - resilient retail, health impact assessment, healthy neighborhoods - Urban Studies Abstracts; Agricola; Business Source Complete; Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Database; other business sources; GIS
2. USAID - Climate risk management, environmental review, international development and foreign aid - Risk Abstracts; Agricultural & Environmental Sciences Database; GeoRef; Web of Science; PAIS
Make sure that your final draft contains the following components:
You will want to make sure that your final paper complies with a standard citation style. Most Social Ecology submissions are made following APA format. Please practice consistency and consult appropriate resources listed below. See Citation Management Guide