What is OverDrive?
- It is a platform for borrowing "popular and recreational reading" ebooks.
- You can read books online, download titles to your device, or read on your Kindle or ereader.
I see OverDrive also offers audio books, magazines, and streaming video. Can I access those formats from UCI Libraries?
- No. At this time UCI Libraries only has access to ebooks in OverDrive. Newport Beach and Orange County Public Libraries also has OverDrive and both offer audio books, etc. and will in general have a much larger ebook collection than what UCI Libraries can provide.
UCI Libraries offers over 4 million books, so why is the OverDrive collection so small?
- UCI Libraries has only recently acquired this service and we will slowly be adding new titles.
Who can access OverDrive?
- Any current UCI faculty, student, or staff member can borrow e-books from OverDrive.
How do I get to OverDrive?
- Start here and . Then click on
- You will also be able to find the ebook titles in Library Search.
Do I need to create an OverDrive account?
- You do not need to create a separate OverDrive account if you are using a browser. Your UCInetID and password are sufficient.
If you use the OverDrive App or Libby (more info below), you will need to create a username/password.
How do I read books on OverDrive?
- Computer or laptop -- read in a web browser or download to Adobe Digital Editions
- Phone or tablet: download the OverDrive App or the Libby App.
- eReaders: Use Adobe Digital Editions
- Kindle ereader: you'll be asked to log into Amazon to send to Kindle. Not all OverDrive titles are available for Kindle. Look at the Format information for each title, to see if the Kindle format is available, or use the Kindle tab at the top of the OverDrive platform to limit to titles available in the Kindle format.
How long can I borrow an OverDrive ebook?
- You can select either 7 or 14 days. Materials will be returned automatically. There are no late fees.
How many OverDrive books can I borrow at one time?
- You can borrow up to 5 books at once.
How do I renew OverDrive books?
- Before a book is due, you will have the option to renew from your OverDrive loans page.
How do I place a hold on an OverDrive book?
- If a book is checked out by another patron, simply put a hold on the book in OverDrive. You will receive an email when the book is available. You may place a hold on up to 5 books at a time.