Features to look for when choosing social media services:
1. Post regularly
2. Don't ignore people: respond to posts, tweets, etc. in a timely manner.
3. Use your real name if you can, if you can't choose a user name that is easy to spell and remember.
4. Change the default image for new accounts, post a nice picture.
5. Show your personality but remain professional.
6. Engage and build relationships; don't update and dash. Post regularly, and try to post a mix of your own content and reposted content of others. Remember to ask questions or otherwise challenge followers to encourage conversation.
7. Learn the hashtags for your subject field or topics of interest.
Use an aggregator : Given the differences in the numerous social media sites, many people use more than one. And, if you decide to have both personal and professional accounts on these sites you can double the number you are managing. Using a program like HootSuite or TweetDeck to combine all your accounts in one place can make managing multiple sites much easier!