Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to UCI!
This program gives you an early orientation to establishing success as a UCI Graduate Student. I am your Liaison Librarian and serve the:
- Samueli School of Engineering - all 6 departments
- Bren School of ICS - Departments of Computer Science & Informatics
- School of Social Ecology - Department of Urban Planning & Public Policy (UPPP), Environmental Planning & General Social Ecology
- School of Social Sciences - DASA: Demographic and Social Analysis
In this capacity I am responsible for all reference and consultation services, including Information Literacy in the subject area such as to support Data, Collections & Information Resources; and the support services that tie in with using appropriate software to provide better access to:
- Bibliographic Management Software - examples include Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote
- Citation Styles - examples include APA, IEEE, ACM, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, CSE, etc. IEEE Citation Style has a Reference Style Manual
- Collaborative Software - examples include Overleaf, Google Drive, MS Teams
- orientation to different literacies - examples are financial/numerical, data, visual, graphic, media, video,disciplinary, digital, content, cultural, etc
- introduction to entrepreneurship & innovation
- appropriate and relevant campus resources
- special resources that your own program of study & research will demand
- support for your role as a Teaching Assistant if you are a TA at any time during your tenure as a graduate student
- how to create a research profile - begin with setting up an ORCID ID to disambiguate you from others with the same name
To Do Lists
Some of these things on this list are not reasonable if you are not in residence but make sense long term:
- obtain UCI ID card - the 16 digit # is your transaction card for requesting content - ILL, etc
- make sure that all your communication devices are set up with VPN & DUO - can test functionality & register up to 5 including desktop, laptop, tablet, cell phone - have OIT on Speed-Dial (24x7) - 949-824-2222
- familiarize yourself with Library Website and appropriate Subject Guide(s)
- register for an ORCID ID
- register for Overleaf and learn about those capabilities
- know about Library Reopening Plans & how to request print materials
- Graduate Study Reading Rooms at both SL & LL - when library reopens; SL newly remodeled
- consider taking a Data Carpentry class
Other Hints & Reminders
There are many things that you can take advantage of to contribute to your success as a graduate student. Get engaged with campus activities, attend lectures (now all virtual), webinars, training sessions, identify with Graduate & Post-Doc Resource Center, etc.
Most importantly create balance between work & play, especially at this time, and don't hesitate to seek assistance.
In our time together today, let's cover:
- Brief introductions
- what are you studying @ UCI?
- what are you stressed about if anything?
- any particular TV, film, music highlights you are following now?
- any other random interests?
- Awareness of Subject/Resource Guides - for each academic department, function or information product (ie, News & Newspapers,News & Newspapers, Systematic Reviews , Streaming Media, Research Data Management, Research Impacts & Profiles, Bibliographic Management Software, Citation Formats, Research Grant Funding, Visual Literacy, Quick Reference (daily life needs, all subjects) etc.
- Navigating Library Website - this is a point of departure - book mark; constantly changing
- Review contacts with Librarians
- individual course support
- research directions & any information/data needs
- TA support
- develop reading lists for preparation to review for advancement to candidacy
- thesis/dissertation support & assistance, filing
- can always schedule appointments/consultations - by eMail or via Liaison Librarian box on Guides
- need for collections & resources
- important resources relevant to all - Proquest Dissertations & Theses Global
- when to search UC Library Search (Local UCI Catalog & all 10 UC campuses (UC Holdings including Regional Storage Facilities - SRLF/NRLF); can also search videos, books & book chapters, articles (but don't forget there are many databases that may be more relevant) and other resources & formats; allows for InterLibrary Loan (ILL)
- ILL & Document Delivery options
- Textbooks & OERs
Borrowing & Placing Holds for Library Materials
Regardless of your circumstances, please eMail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not yet obtained your UCI ID card. We understand the current challenges and we will help you obtain what you need.