The policy applies to any journal article that:
- Is peer-reviewed;
- And is accepted for publication in a journal on or after April 7, 2008;
- And, arise from:
- Any direct funding from NIH grant or cooperative agreement
- Any direct funding from an NIH contract signed on or after April 7, 2008, or
- Any direct funding from the NIH Intramural Program or;
- An NIH employee.
The accepted manuscript must appear on PMC no later than 12 months after final publication. NIH will withhold grant money to enforce the public-access policy. See additional applicability guidelines and Policy details.The Policy was passed into law by the U.S. Congress in 2009.
Exempt publications include:
- Review articles, unless the article underwent peer-review.
- Books; however a book chapter published in a series indexed in PubMed does fall under the Policy if it was peer-reviewed.
- Manuscripts in non-Latin scripts (e.g. Russian, Japanese), since they cannot be processed by the NIH
Exempt publications may still be reported in NIH progress reports via My NCBI, but listed at not applicable (N/A).