From: How to Write and Illustrate a Scientific Paper (2008)
The title will be read by many people. Only a few will read the entire paper, therefore all words in the title should be chosen with care. Too short a title is not helpful to the potential reader. However too long a title can sometimes be even less meaningful. Remember a title is not an abstract. Also a title is not a sentence.
• Fewest possible words that describe the contents of the paper.
• Avoid waste words like "Studies on", or "Investigations on"
• Use specific terms rather than general
• Watch your word order and syntax
• Avoid abbreviations and jargon