The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th ed, 2020 is available at the Science Library Reserve Desk at BF 76.7 P83 2020 and should be consulted for consistent citation practice. However, you can also use the Purdue Owl Cheat Sheet for this edition. Earlier editions (6th ed) of the APA Publication Manual is available at all libraries, including LL Library Reserves Desk, Ready Reference & Science Library Reference collection under BF 76.7 P83 2010.
You will be analyzing urban cities of your choice in the Megacity Assignment #2.. This guide will introduce you to resources that will offer socio-economic information and data both of a current nature and historical so that you can understand the contributing factors to demographic shifts. The usual census or population data tells you how the occupants of given locations are. Analyzing those users by additional criteria such as age, gender, political persuasion, education & income level, working status, property values, discretionary spending, etc makes for a more comprehensive understanding of the human geography.
You will be addressing the following questions in a 3-4 pp essay in APA format:
1. Introduction / Overview - cover location; why city was selected by you to study; demographic profile
2. 3 Historical Facts with dates
3. 3 different social change/movements that affected megacity with dates - can be cultural, religious,economic, scientific or technological
4. Conclusions - what makes it a megacity; what is unique about it; want to live or visit there and why
For the Final Paper - Group work - 7-8 pp essay - must include 3 direct quotes from different citations
1. Introduction - include Map -
2. also expand upon history of city by selecting 3-5 different periods to present and note important events during each time period
3. Socioeconomic Data - total population, GDP, Race/ethnicity, income levels, median home prices/value, median rent, poverty rate, education attainment, literacy rates, business landscape, health data/infant mortality, other relevant data
4. Social Change - describe one social change event or movement and its significance
5. Conclusion - summary of earlier sections; what makes this city unique; significance of social change event or movement; how was city,country or wold affected by this social change.
Poster Presentation - City Profile - use visual images, that you will cite, to document earlier research; include, using bullet points for the following sections:
1. Names of creators with heading: UPPP 101 Professor Wong, Winter 2020
2. Name of city/country
5. Chart or Table of socioeconomic data
6. Social Change
When using Online or Internet Resources, consider Search Engines vs. metasites - evaluate resource - be attentive to domain -may include .com, .edu, .org, .gov, .net
Evaluating Information – Applying the CRAAP Test
For Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, Purpose
Goal is to establish relevancy. The evaluation criteria includes these issues:
Scope of coverage
Currency – be able to distinguish currency from timeliness
Relevance – meaningful to what audience; at what level; will you cite it as authoritative?
Authority – stem is author – establishes the source of the information – author/publisher/source/sponsor; organizational affiliations & credentials; contact information
Accuracy – reliability, correctness of content; supported by evidence; is it verifiable; is tone unbiased, objective, impartial & free of emotion; free of errors?
Purpose – are hypotheses and authors’ intentions clear? Why is content important – to inform, teach, sell, entertain or persuade? Any political, ideological, cultural, religious, institutional or personal biases?
Ease of use – Capturing, copying, citing; design & presentation