This is a selective list of terms and tenets that you could use to describe research methods in education, and in social science generally.
- Action research
- Grounded theory
- Inductive analysis
Quantitative tenets from Dr. Penny Beile:
- Understand the purposes and limitations of quantitative methods
- Review the literature to inform the research question and study.
- Define study aims; identify variables, population, and data collection procedures.
- Determine appropriate sampling methods and sample size
- Comply with IRB protocols
- Use the appropriate statistical test to analyze data.
- Report p values and effect sizes.
- Be conservative in drawing conclusions
- Disseminate results to strengthen practice and build theory
- Practice integrity, honesty, and rigor in design, data collection, data analysis and interpretation - and in disseminating results.