Your Research Project is divided up into several steps or different assignments. Following are some hints to expedite your work both individually and collectively in the groups:
Step 2 -
- Develop proficiency in using PsycINFO - study the guide that is on this course guide as a separate tab so that you can learn to refine your searches. Also, explore what topical areas are covered and how you can restrict your searches to journal articles only, use the techniques to refine your search to human subjects, of specific age ranges, etc. Also, learn how to use the Thesaurus and Descriptors to achieve higher relevancy.
- Remember to use the eLinks to determine our holdings for the journals at UCI, either as online full text or in print.
- Learn how to eMail a list of references to yourself.
- If you have used RefWorks or want to learn how to use it, this is a great time to develop those bibliographic management skills.
- Summarize the article that you find. You may want to keep some additional citations for building a longer bibliography.
- Share the primary journal articles each member in your group selects.
- Remember that depending on your topic that there may be other database resources for you to consider searching that cover your topic with a different slant. The list of Databases to get you started or the Subject Guides will be helpful to identify them, and may include PubMed, BIOSIS, Environmental Sciences & Pollution Abstracts, etc.
- Defining Methodolgy of research study - when you conduct your literature search, consider how to incorporate or restrict your search to reflect the methodology of choice.
- You may want to register and use Google Docs to share a writing platform.
Steps 4 & 5 & 6
This is the real emphasis of the work you must complete.
- Read the Research Handout carefully. Use your textbook for information about the different methodologies and variables.
- Remember to follow directions for how to use APA Style. Some directions or additional help is available from the resources in Quick Reference.
Steps 7 & 8
- Data Collection is critical to the analysis.
- Make sure that you identify and discuss the statistical test you employed or utilized.
- Final draft - make sure that you format per the instructions. Seek help along the way if you need it.