Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Appeal to Administration
Below are the most important resources you can use when helping administrators understand the value of OER:
Compelling Reasons to Adopt OER for Senior Management
Gives an explanation of OER specifically for administrators. Includes information on marketing, quality, productivity, and institutional reputation.
Lumen Learning Impact Meter
Adjust the meter to match the data from your institution. This is the potential impact OER could have for your students! Includes total amount of money students are spending on textbooks as well as how much each learning objective costs in comparison.
Open Textbooks: A Policy Guide
Provides current, relevant information on the textbook issue for students. Also gives sample programs and information on how to get grants and develop robust programs around OER.
Getting Support Checklist
Possible Stakeholders to Discuss OER with:
- Department Head- what will support within the department be?
- Dean- will there be administrative support? Can the school collaborate with other schools?
- Bookstore- how should they be notified? How will this affect them? Could they play a role in printing or other distribution? Could students order OER directly from them?
- Director of College LMS/ educational technology- considerations in loading and accessing content
- ADA expert- how will these materials be accessible?
Guide Copyright, Permissions, and Attributions
This research guide was created by Nicole Arnold, built off the work of Allegra Swift at UCSD.