Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to UCI!
This program gives you an early orientation to establishing success as a UCI Graduate Student. I am your Liaison Librarian and serve the:
- Samueli School of Engineering - all 6 departments
- Bren School of ICS - Departments of Computer Science & Informatics
- School of Social Ecology - Department of Urban Planning & Public Policy (UPPP), Environmental Planning & General Social Ecology
In this capacity I am responsible for all reference and consultation services, including Information Literacy in the subject area such as to support Data, Collections & Information Resources; and the support services that tie in with using appropriate software to provide better access to:
- Bibliographic Management Software - examples include Mendeley, Zotero, EndNote
- Citation Styles - examples include APA, IEEE, ACM, MLA, Chicago/Turabian, CSE. etc
- Collaborative Software - examples include Overleaf, Google Drive, MS Teams
- orientation to different literacies - examples are financial/numerical, data, visual, graphic, media, video,disciplinary, digital, content, cultural, etc
- introduction to entrepreneurship & innovation
- appropriate and relevant campus resources
- special resources that your own program of study & research will demand
- support for your role as a Teaching Assistant if you are a TA at any time during your tenure as a graduate student
- how to create a research profile - begin with setting up an ORCID ID to disambiguate you from others with the same name
To Do Lists
Some of these things on this list are not reasonable if you are not in residence but make sense long term:
- obtain UCI ID card - the 16 digit # is your transaction card for requesting content - ILL, etc
- make sure that all your communication devices are set up with VPN - can test functionality & register up to 5 including desktop, laptop, tablet, cell phone - have OIT on Speed-Dial (24x7) - 949-824-2222
- familiarize yourself with Library Website and appropriate Subject Guide(s)
- register for an ORCID ID
- register for Overleaf and learn about those capabilities
- know about Library Reopening Plans & how to request print materials
- Graduate Study Reading Rooms at both SL & LL - when library reopens
- consider taking a Data Carpentry class
Other Hints & Reminders
There are many things that you can take advantage of to contribute to your success as a graduate student. Get engaged with campus activities, attend lectures (now all virtual), webinars, training sessions, identify with Graduate & Post-Doc Resource Center, etc.
Most importantly create balance between work & play, especially at this time, and don't hesitate to seek assistance.
In our time together today, let's cover:
- Brief introductions
- what are you studying @ UCI?
- what are you stressed about if anything?
- any particular TV, film, music highlights you are following now?
- any other random interests?
- Awareness of Subject/Resource Guides - for each academic department, function or information product (ie, News & Newspapers,News & Newspapers, Systematic Reviews , Streaming Media, Research Data Management, Research Impacts & Profiles, Bibliographic Management Software, Citation Formats, Research Grant Funding, Visual Literacy, Quick Reference (daily life needs, all subjects) etc.
- Navigating Library Website - this is a point of departure - book mark; constantly changing
- Review contacts with Librarians
- individual course support
- research directions & any information/data needs
- TA support
- develop reading lists for preparation to review for advancement to candidacy
- thesis/dissertation support & assistance, filing
- can always schedule appointments/consultations - by eMail or via Liaison Librarian box on Guides
- need for collections
- important resources relevant to all - Proquest Dissertations & Theses Global
- when to search Library Search (Local UCI Catalog) and MELVYL (UC Holdings including Regional Storage Facilities - SRLF/NRLF)
- ILL & Document Delivery options
Things to Do to Get Organized for Academic Year
Connect from Off-Campus - VPN & OIT HelpDesk
Configure up to 5 devices including cell phone, tablet, laptop, desktop so that you can access licensed content when off-campus. Test VPN regularly and follow instructions to install. Contact OIT at 949-824-4971 for any assistance - open 24/7 or contact Help Desk at https://www.oit.uci.edu/helpdesk
Activate your UCINetID /photo ID Barcode for Library Transactions
Contact Access Services at the UCI Libraries at email@example.com to activate your barcode so that you can make library transactions such as requesting print books to pick up curbside, request materials via InterLibrary Loan, reserve study spaces, etc.
UCI Library Website
Point of departure for all library announcements, exhibits, services, and links to staff and resources.
Stay on top of UCI Libraries' Phased Reopening Plans
When and what library services will be reopening including curbside pickup for print resources, study space, requesting online access to content, etc is scheduled according to state & county directives.
Bibliographic Management Software
Consider adopting & learning some method of BMS to use for organizing information retrieved from literature searches, to take notes. Use the Comparison chart, take a tutorial & determine if it fits in to your workstyle. Will format outputs according to different style manuals. There is definitely a learning curve so allow time. The free or open source products are Mendeley, Zotero & EndNote Basic
Collaborative Software - Overleaf
A collaborative, cloud-based LaTeX editor for the writing, editing, compiling and publishing of scientific documents. Integrated directly with Bibliographic Management Software packages. Requires registration and can be used with collaborators at other institutions.
Register for this unique & persistent digital identifier to disambiguate you from other authors with the same name. Stays with you as you move on from UCI. Is used to track your publishing output. Increasingly added to all signature lines & placed on resumes/CVs,
For resources that are not available at UCI, please check MELVYL and submit ILL requests. Outside of a textbook for a course, please contact us before you purchase anything in order to determine if we can obtain it for you.
Access to Elsevier Sources
Elsevier is a major source of publishing in science & engineering. The University of California did not renew its consortial subscription to the journals effective 2019. For journal articles with 2019 and later imprints you will have to request via ILL by clicking on the "Get Access" link and then on the "SFX Context Sensitive Linking" & on ILL request to submit this order. There is no fee involved. Usually takes just a day or two to obtain the article.
LastPass Password Manager
Recommended to secure stored passwords across your devices. UCI also has an Enterprise* account, which includes 1GB of encrypted file storage at no cost (*note that access ends one year after graduation, so back up your data if you decide to utilize the LastPass Enterprise account!)
UCI Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholar Resource Center
Lots of virtual programming for the graduate & post-doc population is taking place while the majority of instruction is handled remotely.
Check out the Overdrive tab for fiction & non-fiction.
Enjoy a film or other Streaming Media
Watch a film, documentary, play a game or enjoy other streaming media